Wednesday, June 30, 2010

How To Make Frozen Peas At Home

Hi Friends.

Today I share another important technique used in the kitchen for storage, that's freezing. In this fast moving , hasty world we tend to use many frozen products as they come out handy. Freezing helps us store seasonal vegetables for a longer time and one of the most commonly used  frozen vegetable  is Peas. The peas made in this way can be stored in the freezer for an year. My mom used to make frozen peas  and now I follow the same trend and make them in winter when one gets peas at a cheaper rate (helps me save a few hundreds in the year).

The procedure is very simple..

Ingredients

Peas shelled

water for cooking

a large pan

Thick towel

zip lock bags

slotted ladle

Method

Take a pan and take enough water in that. Once the water starts boiling add the shelled peas (do this in batches, I made about 8kgs).

P1020231

P1020232

Once the peas are blanched you will see them moving to the top surface and floating there, remove them.

P1020233

Once the entire batch is done, spread it on  a thick clean towel and allow them to cool.

P1020234

Once cooled, fill them in washed and dried zip lock bags and place them in the freezer.

P1020235

Once frozen they can be thawed and used.

Sending this to Jaya’s Back to Basics Event.

12 comments:

Desisoccermom said...

Thanks for this lovely entry Pari. My aunt used to freeze peas this way and we were always fascinated. This is a keeper.

Unknown said...

Wow Pari, that is a nice way, never knew the method. I usually just put the veggies in the freezer, no special process.

PranisKitchen said...

pari nice post .. i do the same. u explained very nicely withpics.. good one

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

My maa grows a lot of peas in winter and always freeze them like this. here in Bangalore fresh peas are very expensive so I always bring some from maa's stock. very good pictorial Pari.

nandini said...

I amnitiously plan to do this every year but never end up doing it. Your post is defenitely inspiring me to try it.surely will try.

M D said...

Nice write up on how to freeze peas. Will help many including me.

Aps Kitchen said...

Dear... I always do this.... but now no peas in the market... feels as if they have vanished :(... I love them

Madhu said...

Fist time in your space Pari. you have some really good tips here, like how to make frozen peas. Will follow your blog now.

Sum Raj said...

woo nice post..

aipi said...

thats a very useful post.. loved your blog... btw thanks for visiting my blog and the lovely words.. do keep in touch!!

megha said...

thanks a lot for visiting and commenting on my food blog.i saw ur recipes .even u too hv got great collection of recipes and thanks for becoming my follower.m too ur food follower

Arundhuti said...

Wow Pari! This post is going to be of great help to me. Thank you so much for sharing. :)